Nebraska is in the Central Plains of North America. With the temperatures changing rapidly the winters are cold, summers are hot, and it is the best place to fish. There are over 100 fish species of fish, and it is estimated that 78 are native to Nebraska.
Nebraska is renowned for its rivers, streams, lakes, and multiple reservoirs. The most popular fish categories include sport fish, panfish, sunfish, commercial fish, baitfish, and non-game fish. July is recognized as National Fishing Month.
See below recipe for Panko Crusted Perch
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
• 1 pound of boneless perch fillets
• 2 to 3 large eggs
• ⅓ cup of all-purpose flour
• 1½ cup of Panko breadcrumbs
• 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, plus extra
• Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
• 1 cup of mayonnaise
• 4 teaspoons of Sriracha sauce
• 4 teaspoons of lemon juice
• Vegetable oil for frying
• Lemon wedges, for serving
1. To make the spicy mayo, combine mayonnaise, Sriracha, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Add or subtract amount of Sriracha to taste. Set aside.
2. Assemble your dredging station: In a wide bowl, beat eggs until no whites are visible and mixture begins to form small bubbles at the edges. Pour Panko breadcrumbs into a shallow bowl/dish and season with 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste. Then pour flour into another. Heat frying oil to 325 to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. First lightly coat a perch fillet with flour, shaking off excess, and then dip it into the egg mixture and then finally coat with Panko. Fry on both sides until golden and drain on paper towels or a cooling rack. Repeat with the rest of the fish, adjusting heat as necessary. As you work, keep fried fish warm in the oven on the “warm” setting.
Do not overcrowd the fry pan — oil temperature will drop too quickly, which will result in greasy fried fish. Also, do not allow the oil to get too hot, as Panko breadcrumbs can burn quickly. Continually keep an eye on the oil temperature with a thermometer and adjust the heat as you cook. If you’re not used to working with Panko, it helps to have an extra set of hands in the kitchen.
4. Serve fried fish with spicy mayo for dipping and lemon wedges on the side. For a light meal, serve the fish in butter lettuce cups with sliced cucumber, pickled carrot and a dollop of spicy mayo on top. ■
Recipe sponsored by Walleye Direct.